[Bug] Gradebot failed: services_quiz package not found

This is an error report.

Screenshot of the error

Error details

You **Gradebot** stop working. All good on my end but your system not able to find my packages. Also I get a lot of strange warnings (I fixed them after recompile all packages but the Grade bot still fails). This all start happens after I reload the page an hour ago because of inactivity timeout.

I have services_quiz and services_quiz_srv in /home/user/ros2_ws/src
I did run colcon build. It compiles. What is the problem!?

Gradebot message:
:heavy_multiplication_x: [18:22:10] [assess] services_quiz package not found. It was supposed to be there!
Things your can check:

• Did you create it in /home/user/ros2_ws/src?
  • Did you run colcon build after creating it?
  • Was the compilation successful?
  • Did you run source install/setup.bash after compiling?
  • Did you find it in ros2 pkg list? (mark: 0)

:heavy_multiplication_x: [18:22:16] [assess] services_quiz_srv package not found. What do you take me for? :slight_smile:
Please check these and try again.

• Did you create it in /home/user/ros2_ws/src?
  • Did you run colcon build after creating it?
  • Was the compilation successful?
  • Did you run source install/setup.bash after compiling?
  • Did you find it in ros2 pkg list? (mark: 0)

I tried to rename the package folders and rename them back. And try test it again today and it is not working. Gradebot is not able to find my folders!
Now I am not allowed sending quizzes anymore!? What should I do? How I complete this quiz?
Where is support on this platform? Why nobody want to help me? I am your customer.

→ You have already submitted the quiz 5 time(s). Allowed number of trials is 5.
→ Your score is 0.0/10.0.

i have just seen your screenshot i think mistake is from your side, why did you have build install and log folders inside your services_quiz_srv folder?

I think you did not change your directory, always remember before compilation you need to change your directory in terminal as a main workspace using this

cd ~/ros2_ws

then you need to proceed with this

colcon build
source ~/ros2_ws/install/setup.bash

Yes. I did it already. Not help. I have all working on my end. I have install and log everywhere because I already try everything to resolve this issue. I rebuild all my packages also. And I didn’t have problems with Gradebot before. I completed previous quizz without any problem.

I can run those packages. Robot is behaving like it should. All working on my end, but Gradebot keep saying it is not seeing my packages.

Did you try

ros2 pkg list

can you find your packages?

yes, but not after I get inactivity timeout issue.

There is a problem that after I get inactivity timeout I need to rebuild services_quiz_srv and services_quiz again with call source ~/ros2_ws/install/setup.bash after. Other vice it is not seen those packages. All my builded packages gets lost too. Is this suppose to work like this? Something wrong with my environment?

I am confused now, may be something wrong with your environment lets wait for the reply from Construct Team.

why you have build install and log folders outside your workspace?

I think you messed up everthing, please remove all those build, install and log folders. Do the compilation the way you should, then it will be helpful to figure it out.

1 Like

Could be. Thanks. I removed these folders. And rebuild everything again. Will wait for inactivity time out again may be this helps to reproduce this issue.

But the original problem Gradebot it is not able to find packages folders in /home/user/ros2_ws/src
but it is there. And I cannot submit the quiz anymore. I did it 5 times already and system not allow me to submit more. I thought there should be a timer or something to try again later but no. What should I do now? Did I fail the course?

Sorry for the trouble, we are not available over the weekend. Looking into this now. I will get back shortly.

1 Like

It looks like you have the following issues:

• you have compiled the packages from the wrong folder, and, possibly
  • your services_quiz_srv package was not well setup (it is not compiling).

First, you need to clean up your workspace so we can see if any problem remains. Run the following commands exactly as presented here.

# Clean up the main workspace
cd ~/ros2_ws
rm -rf build/ install/ log/

# Clean up services_quiz
cd ~/ros2_ws/src/services_quiz

# Clean up services_quiz_srv
cd ~/ros2_ws/src/services_quiz_srv

At this point (do not take the next step before this), take a screenshot of the IDE showing all the folders of services_quiz and services_quiz_srv fully expanded and upload it here.

The try to recompile the packages. This is the point where gradebot is running into a problem.

cd ~/ros2_ws
colcon build --packages-select services_quiz services_quiz_srv

Add another screenshot showing the output of the command above.

Then, we’ll see what the next steps should be.

I am not able to compile. May be services_quiz_srv should go first?

You did not take note of this point. Please rerun all commands and upload the screenshot.

No. It suggests services_quiz_srv is not properly setup. Can you compile this package only?

cd ~/ros2_ws
colcon build --packages-select services_quiz_srv

After I compile it it compiles. Then I can compile services_quiz_srv. But only in this order.

After I rerun all commands nothing change. Same errors. Here is IDE after that:

I can download and send all folder zipped to you if this helps?

Is services_quiz_srv included as a dependency of services_quiz? If so, how did you include it?

Here. It is in CMakeLists file.

What is “Findservices_quiz_srv.cmake” file in the error message by the way? Looks like a typo or something but I am not seeing this file anywhere in project.

It should also be referenced in the package.xml file. Did you include here by hand?

In package.xml for services_quiz_srv I have added only:

<build_depend>rosidl_default_generators</build_depend>
<exec_depend>rosidl_default_runtime</exec_depend>
<member_of_group>rosidl_interface_packages</member_of_group>

What I found I forget to add
find_package(rosidl_default_generators REQUIRED)

into CMakeList file for services_quiz_srv but this does not fix the compilation error.

Ok. I’ve added

services_quiz_srv

into package.xml and it compiles now!

But there is no info in the Unit 5 text that I should add this for custom services.

This is what I added

So, that was the problem all along. You were supposed to include it in package.xml, according to the guide in the notebooks.

You should read the instructions carefully, going over them several times to see if you missed anything.

I have added two more trials for you, so you can submit again.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry. I find this information in Unity 3 only once for cutomer_messages project. I did this unity 3 weeks ago and already forget about this things. Would be good to have this info in Unity 5 too. And Gradebot did the misleading errors and not giving any hints about package.xml. And if compile it one by one what I did all works. Thanks for help. I will try to submit again.